The quick-and-easy portable measuring instrument. Switch on, dip in, read off!
The bbe AlgaeTorch is a lightweight instrument for the simultaneous quantification of the chlorophyll-a content of cyanobacteria and the total chlorophyll content of microalgae in water. The measurement of chlorophyll-a can eliminate laborious sample preparation in the lab. A complete measurement needs less than 20 seconds. No sampling or preparation is necessary.
Measurement of algal concentrations via fluorescence
The bbe AlgaeTorch uses in vivo fluorescence of algae cells: the algae pigments are selectively excited by coloured LEDs and emit red fluorescence light as a natural phenomenon at high sensitivity. The intensity of the chlorophyll fluorescence is used to calculate the different algae as chlorophyll-a, here blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) and total microalgae. The calculation is carried out internally using an optimised algorithm. The results are shown immediately on the display and stored in the internal memory. An encapsulated USB port enables subsequent data transfer to a PC. The PC software is supplied free of charge.
Automatic turbidity measurement
The built-in turbidity sensor calculates the results in FTUs (formazine turbidity units). A turbidity measurement is taken with each chlorophyll measurement. The novelty here is the automatic turbidity correction during chlorophyll measurement which makes subsequent correction unnecessary, improves the accuracy and enables the evaluation of the results in the field, at site.
For more on turbidity measurements, please see the Knowledge section.
Innovative operating concept - fast measurement
The instrument is robust and completely sealed. It is operated through the transparent housing using capacity keys. The key actions are confirmed by a vibration signal. In this way it is possible to ensure safe operation of the instrument even in a wet environment. The instrument is deployable down to depth of 10 m (optionally 100 m with the AlgaeTorch 100). No power cable is needed for operation due to the internal rechargeable batteries.
The AlgaeTorch 100 can perform submersed chlorophyll analysis in real time down to maximum 30 m depth. Different lengths of cable extensions (10, 20 and 30 m) are available for profiling and data transfer. The built-in pressure sensor in the AlgaeTorch 100 traces the depth. All results are visualized on the screen with the connected PC using bbe++ software.
With automatic turbidity correction for a reliable chlorophyll determination and GPS sensor for exact location recording
- immediate chlorophyll analysis
- differentiated blue-green algae detection
- real-time measurement
- automatic turbidity correction
- linked GPS coordinates
- long operation times, little maintenance
- simple operation
- cable-free measurement
- light, portable and mobile
- submersible to 10 m, maximum 100 m
- online option
- switchable from μg chlorophyll to cell counts
- calibrated with living algal cultures
- analysis due to EU Water Framework Directive and the Bathing Water Directive
- analysis of water quality in lakes and rivers
- detection of algal blooms and blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)
- warning of possible toxins
- management of reservoirs and dams
- environmental monitoring
- limnological work
- research and education
- start/stop of instrument
- access to all stored values
- online display of instrument via PC
- input and display of all parameters
- calibration of instrument via PC
PC software functions
- read-out of data and parameters
- display and saving of measurement data
- graphic display of time and if necessary depth of measurement
- data export to EXCEL and ASCII files
Please note: The AlgaeTorch 10 is not conceived as an instrument for long-term submersed measurement.
Technical specification of our AlgaeTorch
|Measuring range||0 - 200 µg chl-a/l|
|Resolution||0.1 µg chl-a/l|
|Size (H x Ø)||500 x 60 mm|
|Power supply||110/230 V - 50/60 Hz - 12V DC|
|Power input||10 W|
|Temperature||Sample: 0 - 35° C / Environment: 0 - 40° C|
|Protection class||IP 68|
|Interface||USB data port|
Subject to alteration!